Rank. Team (rec) | Comment
1. New York Giants (9-7) | Defending champs start No. 1 in these rankings
2. New England Patriots (13-3) | Super Bowl runners-up start No. 2, too
3. Green Bay Packers (15-1) | Will be at or near top all season
4. Baltimore Ravens (12-4) | Gut feeling: they’re at the top spot before long
5. New Orleans Saints (13-3) | An awful lot to overcome, but they’re Top 5
6. Houston Texans (10-6) | A chance to be really good; team to beat in AFC South early
7. San Francisco (13-3) | In for a fall?
8. Detroit Lions (10-6) | Can they maintain what they began last year?
9. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) | Different team than last year; must prove themselves
10. Chicago Bears (8-8) | Better than many believe; all depends on Cutler
11. Atlanta Falcons (10-6) | Three straight playoff appearances; they want more
12. Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) | Around here, we’ll wait and see
13. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) | Waiting to see how Andy Dalton fares Year 2
14. Denver Broncos (8-8) | Manning>Tebow, but what will than mean for record?
15. Tennessee Titans (9-7) | Tough to prognosticate, so put ‘em in middle
16. San Diego Chargers (8-8) | We’ll see if window is closing
17. Oakland Raiders (8-8) | This ranking could improve in a hurry
18. Dallas Cowboys (8-8) | A lot to prove in Big D . . . again
19. Seattle Seahawks (7-9) | Will Pete Carroll’s gutsy quarterback call pay dividends?
20. New York Jets (8-8) | This ranking could drop in a hurry
21. Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) | Tougher division gives them tall task
22. Carolina Panthers (6-10) | Could be better; gotta prove it first
23. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11) | Better than the analysts believe – but how much?
24. Washington Redskins (5-11) | Critical year for Shanahan?
25. Arizona Cardinals (8-8) | Another candidate for a big slide
26. Buffalo Bills (6-10) | As good as they were early last season? Or as bad as they were late?
27. Minnesota Vikings (3-13) | It’s Christian Ponder time in Minneapolis
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12) | Is offseason enough to clean up last year’s mess?
29. Cleveland Browns (4-12) | A long climb in brutally tough division
30. Indianapolis Colts (2-14) | Offensive line could negate their Luck
31. Miami Dolphins (6-10) | Hard to pick them much higher than this
32. St. Louis Rams (2-14) | Finished here last year; will start here again